WELL HALL, ELTHAM
Well Hall, situated in the south of London and within easy walking distance from Eltham station is vastly different from
that which Edith and her family arrived at in 1899. Together with her husband, Hubert, they acquired the lease of an 18th century house and 7½ acres of ground.
The area had, as a boundary, farmland with Tudor outbuildings. The house Edith was to occupy had been built by Sir Gregory
Page. Its former occupants, John Arnold the clockmaker, had been a tenant as well as being used as a school.
The site had previously been part of the farmland of William and Margaret Roper. Margaret was the daughter of Sir Thomas
More and there is every likelihood that their house stood on the moat island.
Edith Nesbit describes a property very similar to Well Hall in her book The Red House published in 1902.
Edith Nesbit was to remain at Well Hall for the next 22 years. The house was demolished in the early 1930s and the grounds now form Well Hall Pleasaunce - a garden of peace and tranquillity in a busy urban setting. One of the Tudor buildings survives and is owned by Greenwich Council.
|This plaque, in Well Hall Pleasaunce, was unveiled on 4 May, 2004 by Jenny Agutter (centre), Margaret McCarthy, Chairman
of the Edith Nesbit Society (right) and Marion Kennett, Treasurer of the Edith Nesbit Society (left).